ABOUT CJM PETROLEUM CONSULTING INC.
CJM Petroleum Consulting Inc. was founded in 2019 by Colin Muir, a Professional Petroleum Engineer licensed by the state of California with 20 years of multinational oil and gas experience. We are a full service engineering consulting company. In addition to data dashboards, we offer services in well drilling, completions, stimulation, optimization, EOR, and abandonments including programming/planning, budgeting, project management, and regulatory compliance.
ABOUT COLIN MUIR, PRESIDENT OF CJMPC
- Eighteen years’ experience in conventional, HZ, and EOR oil and gas development and production
- Monitored and managed inventory of California’s third largest underground natural gas storage field (27 Bcf capacity) supplying over 21 million customers across Southern California. Ensured accurate forecasting to deliver on publicly-posted targets with the Public Utilities Commission.
- Collaborated in an on-site team managing a 10,000 boe/d major on-shore carbonate oil field (>1 Bbbl OOIP) developing unconventional horizontal multi-stage acid fractured wells and managing legacy assets. Evaluated and proposed horizontal injector redrills to mobilize additional reserves.
- Evaluate, design, implement, and optimize waterflood and enhanced oil recovery (EOR) schemes including ethane and carbon-dioxide miscible injection to maximize hydrocarbon recovery.
- Active team member working with technical (geologists, engineers) and operational (field operators, foreman) to solve problems and maximize productivity with subsequent reporting for managerial decisions and oversight.
- Proficient in utilizing well log analysis to screen and identify recompletion, reactivation, and optimization opportunities of idle or underperforming wells and assess wellbore integrity.
- Reorganized public-source open data (Excel, DBF, XML, MDB) in SQL to create a uniform foundational database for dashboard creation.
- Creation of well data dashboards based on 15 years experience with advanced specialized software to create visuals common to industry processes
- Designed and implemented data monitoring routines (Aveva PI) utilizing continuous well pressure monitoring equipment to provide real-time digital GUI to operations to facilitate safe underground gas storage well monitoring and automated alerting for remedy of abnormalities.
- Analyzed 30 years of historic flow tests to generate predictive model to achieve greater than 95% accuracy in withdrawal capacity predictions to assure fulfillment of publicly posted targets. Performed wellbore nodal analysis (incorporating historical test rates for accurate model initialization) to recommend selection of tubing sizes to maximize well withdrawal and injection capabilities.
- Analyzed activity and production history of 300+ wells dating back to the 1920s to identify present opportunities and evaluation candidates for application of modern exploitation techniques. Catalogued thousands of historic pressure points and combined with production history to
estimate movement of aquifer water through the reservoir and identify bypassed areas.
- Proctored (as subject matter expert) training for operations staff on use-compliance of real-time condition-based pressure monitoring program across three gas storage fields in the Los Angeles area for SoCal Gas. Authored Material Specification and several company-wide Gas Standards for gas storage well safety and compliance protocols including packers and seal bore receptacles consolidating API standards for internal policies.
- Planned, estimated, and engineering oversight for abandonment of two complex wells in a urban environment (critical class) on the Pacific Coast Highway in downtown Huntington Beach, CA. Worked with both local agency (HBFD), and state (Cal-GEM) to obtain necessary permits to execute work in compliance with regulations. Navigated complexities on behalf of non-technical client.
- Supported 30 well abandonment campaign on an offshore well Platform in state jurisdiction near Santa Barbara, California. Conducted detailed well review, cement calculations, cement bond log review, and abandonment operations planning including preparation and submission of packages to the state regulator for operational permits.
- Project manager for 3 well abandonment campaign in highly sensitive and environmentally controlled coastal environment within 300 ft of the Pacific ocean for a multinational major. Including operational planning in conformance with regulations, permit application with state regulator, cost estimation, daily engineering support and reporting including compliance and operational direction, and post-job close out with fulfillment of required document submission.
ASSET OPTIMIZATION, REGULATORY COMPLIANCE, ENHANCED OIL RECOVERY
- Provided reservoir engineering expertise for planning redevelopment of the idled Kettleman North Dome multi-horizon oil field (>1.3 Bbbl OOIP). Generated five and ten year business plans for commercial redevelopment to attain specific long-term production targets and identify early concept testing requirements.
- Collection, evaluation, and organization of technical documents related to Underground Injection Control (UIC) data submission using Cal-GEM WellStar portal. Including well construction diagrams, historical review, and analysis of wells with the area of review (AOR) and computation of the zone of endangering influence (ZEI) using the Theis method.
- Prepared detailed asset review for large reserve property (4000 boepd) including financial lookbacks and future development planning. Economically modeled an associated gas-storage/cycling scheme to maximize lifetime asset value and capitalize on commodity price divergence.
- Evaluation of full field implementation of a waterflood pilot program including modification of regulatory approval conditions to inject above fracture pressure to maximize recovery.
- Managed water and solvent flood performance through reservoir pressure and voidage management with sound injection/production/depletion strategies. Served as liaison between central management and field operations; provided on-site reservoir/production engineering support working directly with field operations staff.
- Strong natural interest for process efficiency and optimization, including support of asset acquisition/divestment evaluation, long-term business development strategies, and maximizing mature asset value.
WELL DRILLING AND COMPLETIONS
- Generated drilling programs and cost estimates for an out-of-state client to facilitate operations in California. Submitted notices of intent (NOI) and successfully received Cal-GEM drilling permits. Worked closely with environmental team, surveyors, vendors, and client providing project management services including scheduling, critical path planning, vendor comparison, and price optimization.
- Performed offset well analysis to assess potential drilling hazards (LC/HP zones) including interactive maps and management summaries.
- Managed 30 (10.5net) budget locations targeting Cretaceous, Triassic, Jurassic, and Mississippian oil and gas targets totaling $40MM including evaluation on non-op prospects.